Friday, July 23, 2004

Even in death my love goes on

Currently Listening To: The chatter of some people as they're walking around the Library here on campus.

So! (copies Emily's way to start) Things are going well here. I've met a bunch of new people, and a few who really spark my interest. There is a girl here who has worn a different Evanescence T-shirt both days in a row now. *winks at Emily and Amanda* I thought you guys would find that cute.

We have a lot of free time, some of the time we can go on the computers, but we have readings we're supposed to do in prep for tomorrows lecture so I started that at about ten to eight this morning. The lecture is on Witch Hunts! It's gonna be great. I asked about taking the course and they said that it's not an option for first year, I think he said it was a second year history course, but I can't exactly remember. Not really important considering I'm first year and can find that information out another time.

I've been given a lot of books that are supposed to help me with critical thinking, essay writing, preparing good sentences, help with philosophy, things like that. Mostly self help books. Not sure if I'm going to get them all read by Sunday, but it will deffinately give me something to read when I move into my apartment. Because I will be by myself until Kelly comes back from camp.

Speaking of my apartment, Mom rented the truck for the 5th, so I hope to have everything packed by then. I'm excited to see how everything looks when we move it in. I bought a love seat, a couch, a chair and an automan(sp?) at the slavation army for only 65$. (I cant remember if I have written this already or not, but I still cant get over this awesome deal!)

University Prep 101 is a lot harder than Ithought, I wasnt aware thjat we were going to have to be doing actual work and essays etc. The online course is held on Trent's website, called a Web CT online discussion board. We're given homework to do and have to have it done by a certain date. The first stuff starts out easy and prepares us for the last assignemnt which is a harder essay, they said it is supposed to help us prepare for the university because they'll be commenting on our work as we hand it in and "grading" it, correcting spelling errors and grammar errors etc. It won't actually count for anything towards university, other than the fact that its supposed to help us prepare. Which is good because I wouldnt want to fail a course before I even start University!

Last night we watched the comedy channel and played Life until about 12am. I sort of connected with a boy (not in any way more than friends, I mean c'mon, I dont even know his name!), and with our "Dorm Mother" Ulia (Not sure if its spelt that way, but thats how you say it! She's great. She's from Russia and has only been in Canada for three years now. Her passion is languages and she's majoring in Politics(yuck). Also someone here named Amber is going into the Forensic Science department. She's a nice girl, from Renfru(not sure if I spelt that right either!) She self proclaims herself a "spoiled brat" because her family has a lot of money. She said that they have like three boats, five cars, etc.

We're supposed to be having a Library Orientation right now, but no one has showed up yet for it. And by no one Imean there is only myself, Ulia and three other girls here. I bet all of the guys didn't even read their timetable (not that I'm prejudice against guys :P).  So we're getting to hang out on the computers for longer. I wish I could go on MSN. But I know that as soon as I sign in I'll be flooded with people and I'll feel bad because then I'll have to tell them in like five or ten minutes that I have to go. Most of the time thats why I don't go on MSN. I'm never on long enough for a decent conversationg with anyone.

The campus is really desserted in the summer. There are the few students who are doing summer school, or maybe wanting to catch up on reading so they hang out at the library, but other than that it's basically dead. It feels weird to be walking down school hallways and there be hardly anyone there. Ulia says it's creepy. I suppose she's used to it being filled with people all the time. It's a big school, but it only has about 5,000 students in it. Which I really like because Ive been told by some of the teachers already that that gives us an advantage because we get more one on one time with our Prof's. So awesome! Otherwise I feel weird in a class, if I havent bonded with the teacher in some way. I just feel like all the rest kind of thing.