Friday, May 21, 2004

Slain officer's son, 14, offers brave words for mourners

Currently Listening To: Tory Amos- Crucify


The Toronto Star.com

With support and encouragement from Chief Garry Clement, Constable Garrett's son Ben, 14, gave a brief but moving tribute to his father during the funeral:

"I'd like to start off by saying thank you to everyone for attending this service and supporting my family and I.

"I know that this is a major tragedy for all of us, but if we work together and provide lots of support for each other we can work through it one step at a time.

"My dad was not just a hero to this town, he was also my hero and always will be. He will surely live on in all of our hearts and will never be forgotten. I know it is hard, so don't think about it and start thinking of all the wonderful memories you shared with my father.

"I just want to finish off by saying: dad, you will also hold a special place inside my heart and warm my dampened spirits."